Jonathan wrote:
> Sorry David but I want to pick up on this point
> you made.  I believe that Jesus did die for the
> sins of the world.

I do too.

Jonathan wrote:
> However, I think that most people (possibly including
> yourself) really read this idea/verse as if Jesus came
> to take away the sins of the Christians, or the sins
> of those who got their theology right, or those who
> followed enough of the law to be justified, or those
> who prayed a certain prayer, or those who repented?

No, that would not include me.  I believe that Jesus died for the sins
of the whole world.  I actually taught this at church last Sunday.

Jonathan wrote:
> (Note here that in the parable of the prodigal son,
> the son's repentance has absolutely nothing to do
> with the Father's acceptance and loving embrace

True, but his repentance had everything to do with his relationship with
his Father being restored.

Jonathan wrote:
> So my question for the group is this:  Although
> the Bible specifically states that He came to take
> away the sins of the world (that is the entire world,
> not just a subset of people), why do some here continue
> to claim that He only took away the sins of the
> Christians?

I certainly do not teach that.  Most Christians, in fact, are going to
hell, in my opinion.

Jonathan wrote:
> Also note 2 Cor 5:19.  Was Christ actually reconciling
> the world to himself or just a few of us? "For God was
> in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer
> counting people's sins against them.  This is the
> wonderful message he has given us to tell others".

He was reconciling the world to himself, not just a few of us.  See also
the following passages:

And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also
for the sins of the whole world. (1 John 2:2 KJV)

And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to
reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things
in earth, or things in heaven. (Colossians 1:20 KJV)

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.