* Cédric Krier <cedric.kr...@b2ck.com> [11.02 13:08]:

> > > directly
> > > migration

> > > Why not use the "direct print" option of the client?
> > >

> > Idea is about user or reports send report to a printer machin or other (and
> > configure with GTK cliente or Sao)
> >
> > for example:
> >
> > Invoice report -> Printer A
> > Delivery note report -> Printer B
>
> I think such goals should be acheive on the client side and not server
> side otherwise you are loosing the possibility to have server not in the
> same network area as the clients (think about multi-location offices
> etc.)
> Maybe there are some improvements possible to have a tool to rember
> printing options base on report names.

Yes, Tryton really needs some improvements when it comes to printing and
reporting.  One improvement would be to use the standard GTK dialog for
printing but I don't know if this works on all platforms.

I think there are two types of "object-bound" reports:
1. One that generates one single report out of the objects the report is
run on, e.g. the label report on parties.
2. One that generates one report for every object, e.g. invoices.  This is
necessary because LibreOffice can't restart the page numbering and maybe
other issues.

The problem with the pure client side solution is that it doesn't solve
the problem of having one single PDF for a "type 2 report".  Further more
the client side solution will not work in Sao.  I believe that the two use
cases are getting more important over the time as more offices try to work
paperless or migrate to Sao.

My suggestion would be to have a generic solution: If the user selects
multiple objects of a "type 2 report", inform the user that this can only be
done in PDF-format, convert every report to a PDF document (with unoconv),
server-side merge the PDFs into one single PDF and send it to the client.
That would solve the problems above and has the advantage of being platform
independent and reusing all the printing options of the PDF viewer/printer
driver, like two-sided printing, scaling, rotating, color adjustments,
sorting etc.

Marco