On 17 Feb 15:15, Marco Huymajer wrote:
> * Cédric Krier <cedric.kr...@b2ck.com> [15.02 00:16]:
>
> > > The problem with the pure client side solution is that it doesn't solve
> > > the problem of having one single PDF for a "type 2 report".
> >
> > Why restricting to PDF?
>
> Because I could not imagine a more generic solution and PDF is pretty much
> standard when it comes to printing.

PDF was standardized quite recently (2008) and even it is not fully
open.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF

> > > Further more
> > > the client side solution will not work in Sao.
> >
> > What do you say that?
>
> Because I can not see how Sao could call something like "lpr" or "xdg-open".

That's managed by the browser using the MIME type.

> > There is only styling issue. At the TUB, we talked about creating a
> > zipfile containing each report, the client will just open the
> > directory with all the documents and the user will be able to request to
> > his OS to print all the file at once.
>
> Seems like a more generic and versatile solution than the PDF merging
> approach.
>
> You mean server-side zip all the documents and send the zip file to the
> client?

Yes.

> The unzipping is done by tryton or the zip file is just opened?

To test but I guess let the OS opening the zip could be good enough.

> What about sending a link of a temporary WebDAV collection to the client?

Because when do you remove the temporary link?
More over, I think webdav should not be in the core but just a module
and so we should not rely on it.

> That would make it possible to asynchronously generate the reports without
> blocking the client until they are ready.

That's the pool connection: http://codereview.tryton.org/3471002/
And your proposal will not fix it.

PS: If you have other questions about the development of Tryton, you
should ask on tryton-dev@
--
Cédric Krier - B2CK SPRL
Email/Jabber: cedric.kr...@b2ck.com