On Wed, Dec 21, 2011 at 5:29 AM, Michael Pedersen <m.peder...@icelus.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Alessandro Molina
> <alessandro.mol...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Apart from changing the TurboGears package version, they still would
>> have to check one by one
>> all the various packages that are injected inside their setup.py as a
>> consequence of using TG
>> and set them to the right version required by the new TG release.
>

> The tool is called "yolk", and can be found
> at http://pypi.python.org/pypi/yolk . It searches your virtualenv's site
> packages, and shows you which packages have newer versions available. From
> there, you can make the choice as to which ones to upgrade.

The issue is that as a TG user I'm not expected to know with which
versions the framework will work.

> As for TurboGears itself, we already specify the versions and indexes. I'd
> prefer to maintain that properly, possibly using upper bounds as well as
> lower bounds, to improve what we tell our users to do.

Wouldn't specifying upper bounds lead to the same result as specifying
the exact version?
How can you know up to which future release of package X TG will
continue to work?

I'm used doing pip freeze on each and every project, but I think that
this shouldn't be required with a correct dependency management on the
framework side.