On May 27, 10:02 am, "Kevin M." <drunkbastar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Have you seen the Tom & Jerry cartoons from the last 10-15 years? The
> ones where the two are now nonviolent pals who solve mysteries? In
> other words, I can imagine quite a bit of badness being injected into
> the mix.

They've actually gone back and forth, as far as I know.  The 70s H-B
eps squelched the characters (and of course, Hanna and Barbera knew
it, but it was the only way they could get them back on the air).  The
1979 Filmations returned to the original premise, but without the
execution of the theatricals (and those who only initially know H-B
from their TV work are surprised about how exquisitely crafted those
shorts are).  And with the protests of the pressure groups in the 70s
long in the distance, "Tom and Jerry Kids" was closer to the spirit of
the originals, albeit with cutesy-wootsy character designs.  It was
the *feature* that returned to the "buddies" premise (and gave them
voices--well, Jerry a voice, since in the theatricals Tom did the
occasional singing or a "DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!").

And considering that "Tom and Jerry" is the only theatrical series
that CN still shows, I would argue that the current CN management gets
the difference between cartoon violence and real violence.