On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 6:16 PM Stan S <sta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Someone please send the Brits the Joe Namath Medicare Advantage ads :)

Oh wow. Just watched a couple of YouTube.

Another good thing about our advertising rules is that you can't have reams
of text that's too small to be legible, and on screen too briefly to read.
I also don't think you can say one thing, and then "clarify" it with some
tiny footnotes.

Our advertising isn't perfect. Gambling ads are completely legal here, and
frankly endemic. I suspect that they'll be banned in due course since
everyone has discovered how normalising they've made gambling. The social
costs of the addiction - which can start at very young ages - is high. (And
let's face it, computer game loot boxes are also gambling.) No doubt as
gambling legislation continues to be weakened in the US,  you'll see it on
your TVs too. In the meantime, look at the shirts of around half the
Premier League football teams to see gambling ads, many of which are aimed
at Chinese consumers, somewhere else that gambling ads are banned.

Mind you, in the UK political TV (and radio) ads are banned. Imagine that!

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 7:07 PM Melissa P <takingupspace...@gmail.com> wrote:

> By now, I'm sure there's a ton of data and conclusions about how effective
> lifting the bans has been.  Benefits outweigh costs?  Prices?  I haven't a
> clue because I haven't looked at the papers/studies.  One effect is most
> certainly the case:  advertising by the legal profession has made it
> possible for an oversupply of lawyers to find employment.

I'm always interested who has paid for such studies :-)

We don't get a lot of legal advertising in the UK. I don't believe it's
massively controlled, and when there was a big equivalent of class action
suits against banks which entitled many to some refunded payments, there
were lots of ads. It's just not a category. Although UK TV advertising is
very "national" rather than local. But you don't get billboards, bus
posters or any of the other kinds of ads I see when I visit the US.

Adam