Apologies for the spotty input -- because grad school was decades ago.

That said, if I remember correctly, a semester class was split into two
parts, one of them, the economics of advertising.

Around the time that I was in school, the Federal Trade Commission was just
beginning to lift bans in certain industries that had previously been
prohibited from advertising on television.  I remember long discussions in
class about those industries and even wrote a term paper on one of them --
eyeglass advertising.  The others I remember are the funeral industry,
lawyers, and -- (and non-OTC) pharmaceuticals.

The theory:  more advertising = more competition = lower prices (and more
and better information) for consumers.

By now, I'm sure there's a ton of data and conclusions about how effective
lifting the bans has been.  Benefits outweigh costs?  Prices?  I haven't a
clue because I haven't looked at the papers/studies.  One effect is most
certainly the case:  advertising by the legal profession has made it
possible for an oversupply of lawyers to find employment.

Pharmaceuticals?  Lower prices?  Better health?  Better informed
consumers?  I don't know, but the literature is undoubtedly out there.

Just thought I'd post because it seems that a lot of people don't remember
a time when morticians, optometrists, lawyers, and drug companies didn't
advertise on TV.