On Jan 2, 11:31 pm, "Jesse Stay" <jesses...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well put Chris - I had forgotten about that.  I just want something - I
> don't care what, but I need it soon, as it's starting to make it really
> difficult to market my App and keep users feeling secure.  I *hate* knowing
> my users Twitter passwords (I have over 5,000 of them - it's really scary
> that I do).  I sincerely hope this is top priority for Twitter right now -
> it should have been implemented last year so long as they have an API in
> place.  On my App, it took about 2 hours max to write, test, and implement a
> very simple API key system like this for the API I'm providing. I don't get
> why it's taking Twitter so long.

John Adams from Twitter's operations team replied to my post on this
subject:

"The plan is to support Basic Auth and OAuth concurrently, for at
least 6 months, if not more.

"We can’t completely turn off the Basic Auth API without having a
large impact to many APIs and clients."

http://factoryjoe.com/blog/2009/01/02/twitter-and-the-password-anti-pattern/comment-page-1/#comment-103431

So, you will be given an option (no telling when) to use OAuth instead
of the plaintext username/password combo.

Of course it means many folks will still use the lowest common
denominator (and the most insecure method available) for some time,
but at least there will be a good transitional time period where
developers who want to use OAuth can do so, paving a path for those
who will need to migrate later.

Heck if Flickr could get its user base to move over to Yahoo accounts,
I imagine Twitter will be able to get app developers and users to move
over to OAuth in six months.

Chris