Thanks for the replies, it’s really helpful to know what your thoughts
and questions about the promoted products are. I’ve caught up with the
team who are working on this and discussed your questions with them.
Here's what I find out.

We began testing Promoted Trends in June as an extension of our
Promoted Tweets which were launched in April. So we all have the same
understanding of what these products are i’ll explain them here.

A Promoted Trend is one a topic which is already trending on Twitter
but not popular enough to make it onto the Trending Topics list. A
topic which isn’t popular on Twitter already cannot become a Promoted
Trend.

A Promoted Tweet is a Tweet which businesses and organisations want to
highlight to a wide range of users. They have the same functionality
as a regular Tweet except a Promoted Tweet will be highlighted at the
top of some of our search results pages.

Until today the Promoted Tweets and Trends were only shown to visitors
on twitter.com. The API additions today take us closer to syndicating
both those products to third parties. How this works out and ends up
with everybody is one of the reasons we started the beta test with a
handful of partners.

As developers the benefit to you of displaying the Promoted Products
is that Twitter will share revenue with you. We’re still working out
the exact value and will keep you informed on developments.

For users the benefit is that they will see time, context and event
sensitive trends promoted by advertising partners. Only Tweets which
users engage with will be kept. This means if users don’t interact
with a Promoted Tweet it will disappear.

Some more information is on our support site:
http://support.twitter.com/articles/142161-advertisers
http://support.twitter.com/groups/35-business/topics/127-frequently-asked-questions/articles/142101-promoted-tweets

Best,
Matt