Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply :-)

I just discussed it with a few of my users (gotta love the community).

Replies in the mail below.

On 8/10/10 12:18 AM, themattharris wrote:
> Thanks for the replies, it’s really helpful to know what your thoughts
> and questions about the promoted products are. I’ve caught up with the
> team who are working on this and discussed your questions with them.
> Here's what I find out.
>
> We began testing Promoted Trends in June as an extension of our
> Promoted Tweets which were launched in April. So we all have the same
> understanding of what these products are i’ll explain them here.
>
> A Promoted Trend is one a topic which is already trending on Twitter
> but not popular enough to make it onto the Trending Topics list. A
> topic which isn’t popular on Twitter already cannot become a Promoted
> Trend.
Effectively an advertisement. If I wanted to push my application (about
1 tweet per day), I could simply contact Twitter and make my application
a Promoted Trend, right? To me (and my users) that is an advertisement.

> A Promoted Tweet is a Tweet which businesses and organisations want to
> highlight to a wide range of users. They have the same functionality
> as a regular Tweet except a Promoted Tweet will be highlighted at the
> top of some of our search results pages.
Easily compared to a Google advertisement - which is also just a message
on the bottom of a page, except that in the case of Twitter it looks
like a real Tweet.

> Until today the Promoted Tweets and Trends were only shown to visitors
> on twitter.com. The API additions today take us closer to syndicating
> both those products to third parties. How this works out and ends up
> with everybody is one of the reasons we started the beta test with a
> handful of partners.
>
> As developers the benefit to you of displaying the Promoted Products
> is that Twitter will share revenue with you. We’re still working out
> the exact value and will keep you informed on developments.
This will either make the people of TweetDeck etc *very* rich, or it
won't get the smaller developers (like myself) a thing. ;-)

> For users the benefit is that they will see time, context and event
> sensitive trends promoted by advertising partners. Only Tweets which
> users engage with will be kept. This means if users don’t interact
> with a Promoted Tweet it will disappear.
Tell me: what's the actual gain for the user? When I started displaying
a Google Ad on my first website (years ago), some people stopped
visiting the site. How is this kind of advertisement different?

> Some more information is on our support site:
> http://support.twitter.com/articles/142161-advertisers
> http://support.twitter.com/groups/35-business/topics/127-frequently-asked-questions/articles/142101-promoted-tweets
>
> Best,
> Matt
Tom

PS: This is what my community thinks - Please don't consider it
pointless bashing ;-)