MD = VOC

If I type LIST VOC = "CUST" in UV 10.1 and LIST MD = "CUST"
in D3 7.2 I get the exact same output which is the name and type of
the file.  I don't know what would cause yours to output nothing.

M/DICT is an alternate way to reference the MD file.  Here is the
content of the M/DICT record in an account on my D3 system:

001 q
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009 l
010 17
011
012
013
014
015
016
017 "m/dict" is an alternate means of referencing the "md" of the current
accoun
    t.  It is simply a "q-pointer" which points to the current master
dictionary
    .
eoi 017
.EX
[220] 'M/DICT' exited

To get BOB to work I would build a Q pointer to the account
it exists in.

accountname
BOB

hth