<snip>

Is there a UniData enhancement request buried in the discussion below?

UniVerse has a handy file called $UVHOME/errlog that logs runtime error
messages (and a few things that aren't really errors) that normally
appear on the screen or &PH& file of the user generating the error.  It
shows what, who, when, & where the error occurred.

Does Unidata need the same?

Chuck S

</snip>

While I'm not a UD user, I should think that it would benefit from the
errlog function. But everyone would benefit by making it smarter...  I
would like to be able to configure it similar to syslog. I'd like 'low
grade' errors either logged elsewhere or not at all...  Usually half of
my error log is generated from menu errors:  " Invalid command.  Type
"?" for help."....   Usually someone has put a book on their Enter
key....

Right now the only configurable option is the number of lines before the
log rolls over. I'd like to have the option of pushing the error
messages to the syslog service, where I could then do with them what I
like.