"Good" code. What (TF) is that and how does that relate to a statements
inclusion in a manual or not?
Explain yourself and - the rules for you are - don't peek in a
dictionary or use an electronic grammar or spell checker. ;-)
Stuart Boydell

Hi Stuart.

Ignoring all dictionary and thesaurus explanations available I have a simple definition of "good" code - is it efficient and can it be easily maintained by someone else? I appreciate that this is an arbitary and difficult to measure standard, but it's my standard nonetheless :-)

We have a language that invariably allows a solution to be written in a number of different ways. If I was to work alongside - or worse, after - a programmer that utiilised obscure conversion codes that no-one else understood rather than a simpler to read line of code that did exactly the same thing then I wouldn't be very happy. While my original point was relating to the certification questions, the post from Keith this week where he changed the line of code into something much more readable is a classic example. We may not all agree with precisely how he's done it, but we can probably all see the reason why he did.

The discussions about coding that have woken this list up in recent weeks show that there are lots of "standards" out there, but I think that there is probably one rule that's true to all of us - we all recognise bad code when we see it, even if it was us what wrote it!

Colin.