Thanks Wol - I've been informed that the issue was due to someone
moving directories for easier housekeeping.  For some reason
D_VOCLIB and VOCLIB (data dir) physically need to be under the
root path of the account.  It's not enough that the pointers
point to the right location.  That precludes certain types of
creative administration.  Oh well.  Issue resolved.

Thanks to all for your time.