From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: Wednesday, July 21, 2010 12:22 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Unidata 7.1.9 and .Net DLL

>From Don Verhagen:
> > Does anyone know if you can hook/link a .NET dll (Managed
code) into
> > Unidata 7.1.9 (Windows).
> >
> > I know you can with COM .DLL by creating an "E" type voc
entry.
> > Sample COM DLL Voc entry
> > <1> E
> > <2> E:\Vertex\VertexUtils\VertexDriver.DLL
> > <3> v_LocConnect
> > <4> params...

I really didn't know that this call-out functionality existed.  I
know GCI allows for invoking COM from UV.  UCI has been equated
to GCI but I don't think they're the same at all.

Does Unidata support GCI?

What is this "E" item syntax called, and where can I find a doc
on it?

Does Universe support this "E" item syntax?

Does anyone have any performance data for this "E" syntax?  I'm
wondering if DLLs are truly linked and they stay in memory, or if
they're dynamically referenced on every invocation.  The former
is painful only on first execution.  The latter would alwould be
painful and we might as well Execute/SH.

Heck, I can see entire libraries of new functionality being
created with this mechanism.  Deployment would be Muuuuuuuuuuuch
easier than GCI.

Thanks.
Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products
worldwide, and provides related development services
remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno