[chop]

> Most people here don't care about Reality or mvBase, don't care
> about QMClient or mv.NET, and don't care about Eiffel or
> Smalltalk.  That's fine.  Once the API is defined, different
> groups of people can focus on their preferred interfaces.  But
> right now absoilutely none of the above interfaces exist for any
> MV platform.  I'm hoping we can get from nothing to something,
> and it's entirely possible, without everyone deferring to the
> DBMS companies to do everything for us.
>
> Maybe it's time for me to publish something more official on
> this?
>
> Regards,

Hey T, this brings up memories of some interesting communications we had
many years ago regarding a standardized communication method. Do you
remember the round table pow-wow at Stardust (Spectrum)? MV.Net is about the
closest thing to what we discussed but it still is not a portable language
binding platform. I still have that unfinished MV comm protocol RFC if you
want to poke at it and dissect it. It was an ASCII protocol spec that could
be used to perform the basic data IO operations along with
dictionary-oriented statements. Subroutine calls were to be supported as
well, but I never got that far due to a lack of interest. I guess a bare
'white paper' is too complicated? I also wrote a VB socket client example
and a socket service demonstrating the protocol, which could just as easily
been Unix pipes or Windows files. The MVWWW project is another cross-flavor
potential project that was geared towards freeing people from a specific
DBMS HTML/XML integration tool. Frankly, it was a project I started so I
would be able to port off of FlashCONNECT easily at some point if the need
arose. One developer submitted useful code back during the many years it's
been on SourceForge so it's far from an enterprise quality project in its
current state. Maybe the lack of interest is due to a lack of advertising or
a due to a lack of ability to put the pieces together? PickSource has been
gone for a long time now, but I'll leave that discussion for another day.

Regards,

Glen Batchelor
IT Director/CIO/CTO
All-Spec Industries