We have had that happen when the unix load average increased, and there were
emails going out.
sendmail stops at a certain load average, and kept spawning off more and more
processes, increasing
the load average even more.

But, when it slows down, the easist thing is to drop to unix, and run the "top"
command to show
you the processes that are using cpu usage.

George