On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM, Tony Gravagno <3xk547...@sneakemail.com>wrote:

> > From: Bill Haskett
> > I wonder if this implies that those who U2 are all
> > database "gurus"?  :-)
>
> I get the humor but...
> I need to create a distributed cloud-based MV environment,
> obviously smaller than Facebook but using the same concept of
> "shards" for distributed storage and computing.  So far most of
> the Pick people I talk to have no idea what I'm talking about let
> alone how to implement it with MV.

Not all non-Pick people know this either, but in both cases, some do.

>  We're not gurus if we don't
> speak the same language as the rest of the world.

Not all of us need to speak all of the same language, but, yes, we do need
to have MV folks who speak the language. I have not found that to be a big
problem to date (I work with a different vendor now, but I'm guessing there
are folks working for U2 who are up to date on this too).

> As to "old SQL", there is a revolution going on out there and I'm
> wondering if other MV people have seen this:  Look at the data
> storage for Android, Google App Engine, AmazonDB, etc.  All of
> these platforms and others are using name/value pairs with some
> relational functionality, but they're not using SQL.  Once again
> we're missing a whole new generation of data hungry applications.

Yes, many of us have been suggestion (for more than a year and a half at
least) that we should position ourselves (MV) to jump under this larger
umbrella NoSQL (Not only SQL or yes-no-sql or in some cases No SQL). The MV
products are some of the only ones in this arena that are proven.

> While there are still new methods of data storage and retrieval
> being created all the time, the MV market needs to define a
> consistent web service / REST API for data access and rule
> execution, accessible from any client.

Any clues on how to get any standard that all MV vendors would deploy? I'm
thinking this would require third-party software and, even then, the vendors
might have better solutions for anyone not needing a cross-MV-platform
solution (most users of MV systems do not require such).

>  (That's easy, I have done
> this many times for various projects and for most MV platforms.)
> >From there, professionals in this community can position as
> experts to provide applications, DBMS support services, rules in
> BASIC, hosting, and mentoring for a new generation of people who
> might like to use BASIC for rules rather than Java, Ruby, Go, or
> whatever else they're just starting to learn.
>
> Yeah... as if...

Yeah, I don't see it going that route. I do think we could possibly pop up a
bit more into the NoSQL playground as an industry. The name is a tad bit
unfortunate, but the idea is a good one.  --dawn

> Tony Gravagno
> Nebula Research and Development
> TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
> remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog
> Visit PickWiki.com! Contribute!
> http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno
>

> > From:Symeon Breen
>
> > Some on here will be interested in this. I esp like Gigaom's
> quote
> >
> > "old SQL (as he calls it) is good for nothing" and
> > needs to be "sent to the home for retired software."
> > After all, he explained, SQL was created decades ago
> > before the web, mobile devices and sensors forever
> > changed how and how often databases are accessed.
> >

> <http://www.eweekeurope.co.uk/news/facebook-needs-major-rewrite-w
> arns-database-guru-33864>

Dawn M. Wolthuis

Take and give some delight today