There's a lot of generalizations being made in that article.

In my experience with MySQL, it's just not as good as other production-grade
SQL alternatives like Microsoft SQL Server, PostgreSQL, or Oracle.  I'd
classify this a MySQL + big data problem before I'd call it a SQL-as-a-whole
+ big data problem.

It could also be that Facebook's architecture sucks, or they have built up a
lot of technical debt in the process of scaling so fast and hiring an army
of engineers.

I mean, StackOverlow serves 800 HTTP request **per second* */ 95 million
page views per month with *2 (yes two) *SQL Server machines.

Also, saying that relational databases are a thing of the past pretty
ridiculous.  Most of the problems we're trying to solve fit the relational
model very well.  I think you'll find that most people are using NoSQL
databases for caches, queuing, etc.

I don't get the corollary to MV databases, because I think that'd be the
last tool I'd pick for scaling a site like Facebook, but have to agree with
the point that if the MV vendors want to ride on the NoSQL wave there has to
be better APIs.  I looked into creating a Ruby adapter for UniData.  After
about an hour I wanted to kill myself.

And even if the APIs get better, why would anyone pick something like U2,
which is expensive, closed source, and has a tiny ecosystem versus any of
the dozens of free, open source, popular alternatives?  I can't think of
anything that U2 would bring to the table over MongoDB, Redis, et. al.

I apologize for sounding so negative -- I'm actually rooting for MV
databases.  I just believe that the MV vendors are still focusing on serving
the customers who are locked in and ignoring what's happening everywhere
else.

-Rob

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Daniel McGrath <dmcgr...@rocketsoftware.com