On 7/12/2011 4:06 PM, Dawn Wolthuis wrote:

[chop]
As to "old SQL", there is a revolution going on out there and I'm
wondering if other MV people have seen this:  Look at the data
storage for Android, Google App Engine, AmazonDB, etc.  All of
these platforms and others are using name/value pairs with some
relational functionality, but they're not using SQL.  Once again
we're missing a whole new generation of data hungry applications.

Yes, many of us have been suggestion (for more than a year and a half at
least) that we should position ourselves (MV) to jump under this larger
umbrella NoSQL (Not only SQL or yes-no-sql or in some cases No SQL). The MV
products are some of the only ones in this arena that are proven.

The problem goes way below the non-adoption of the NoSQL movement. It's a consistent stale state of emerging and adopting technology. Most of this is driven by shrinking customer bases and therefore a lack of revenue to justify seemingly unjustifiable new development that can incorporate the _required_ technologies. Look how long it took to get industry-wide HTTP support in MV. It should have _never_ taken that long to get enterprise stability in the web world. .NET is just now catching on as a major investment for development framework?

While there are still new methods of data storage and retrieval
being created all the time, the MV market needs to define a
consistent web service / REST API for data access and rule
execution, accessible from any client.

Any clues on how to get any standard that all MV vendors would deploy? I'm
thinking this would require third-party software and, even then, the vendors
might have better solutions for anyone not needing a cross-MV-platform
solution (most users of MV systems do not require such).

Been there, done that and saw no interest. It will take code soldiers willing to consistently rush the lines and bash down the doors at all of the DB vendors until they realize that we aren't going to stop until we get what we want. Before that happens, though, there has to be an adopted RFC to define how the comm happens and gives granular detail that can not be misinterpreted by anyone implementing it. Once that is done, it's a matter of building wrappers and interfaces for all of the popular languages. Want the unfinished scrap of an MV ASCII protocol RFC I started back in 2002? More importantly are there more than 3 developers out there willing to suit up and then actually spend time building a language hook?

  (That's easy, I have done
this many times for various projects and for most MV platforms.)
> From there, professionals in this community can position as
experts to provide applications, DBMS support services, rules in
BASIC, hosting, and mentoring for a new generation of people who
might like to use BASIC for rules rather than Java, Ruby, Go, or
whatever else they're just starting to learn.

Yeah... as if...

Yeah, I don't see it going that route. I do think we could possibly pop up a
bit more into the NoSQL playground as an industry. The name is a tad bit
unfortunate, but the idea is a good one.  --dawn

GlenB