Many thanks for the responses :) - lost of food for thought!

George, Thanks; I'm aware of the UPS being able to trigger processes; in
fact I'm working toward a "control" system that will in future help to
handle such incidents; there is a handful of less critical servers
involved as well.

Wol - the hibernation is not set up yet; and yes; I want to suspend the
entire server and operating system to disk - no VMs involved.  Our UV
server is the server least often shut down or rebooted; to the point where
I actually delay OS patches for months on end; having a 100% uptime of 6
months on the UV server is nothing new here.  In fact last week's incident
was the first in 3 years where this server went down without pre-scheduled
downtime.

John, a generator is high on my priority list.  Proposals and funding for
one have been repeatedly rejected during the last couple of years by my
directors.  We have invested heavily in wireless technology in our
warehouses in the last year though, and I'm busy preparing new proposals
which should be more open to acceptance, as power outages will have a much
bigger impact on our business operations than in the past.  We don't have
a large user base - just 120 users at present, but that incorporates a
whopping 50% growth in just the last year; it's been playing havoc with
capacity planning and licensing!

Thanks Stuart - it looks like I'll have to do some testing then.  I'll
just install a copy of UV on a test machine and restore a backup to it and
run the tests within the 30 day licensing grace period; I really feel
Rocket wouldn't bust my butt for a once-off test like this.  If anybody
from Rocket reads this, I would appreciate your comments before I do it
though.  If/Once I'm happy with the software tests, I can do a controlled
test on the actual server to check for hardware related issues.  There are
two other small UV sites here in Namibia that may also benefit from this
"localised" experience - I'll post feedback on the test results.

Ross, thanks; the processes run in serial from a paragraph list -
unfortunately it needs some user data inputs to start up thus the need for
a telnet session on the server console to start it; we learnt years ago
it's not good to run this lot from a networked session!  No SAN / NAS -
just a proper RAID system in the server itself.  The console telnet
session is my main concern though...  I might have to see if we can start
the processing off from a local UV shell; that might be more feasible than
a local telnet session.

Kind Regards

Arnold Bosch
IT Administrator
Taeuber & Corssen SWA (Pty) Ltd
------

---------
Disclaimer: This email message is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
information which may be privileged and protected by law. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify us at our email address, delete this
message and do not disclose the contents of this email message to any
other person use it for any purpose or store or copy this email in any
manner or form. Opinions, conclusions and other information contained in
this email message that do not relate to our official business shall be
understood as neither given nor endorsed by us. We do not represent,
warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been
maintained or that this communication is free of errors, virus,
interception or interference.