From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Arnold Bosch
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 6:41 AM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] Universe Server & Hibernation

Many thanks for the responses :) - lost of food for thought!

George, Thanks; I'm aware of the UPS being able to trigger processes; in
fact I'm working toward a "control" system that will in future help to
handle such incidents; there is a handful of less critical servers
involved as well.

Wol - the hibernation is not set up yet; and yes; I want to suspend the
entire server and operating system to disk - no VMs involved.  Our UV
server is the server least often shut down or rebooted; to the point
where I actually delay OS patches for months on end; having a 100%
uptime of 6 months on the UV server is nothing new here.  In fact last
week's incident was the first in 3 years where this server went down
without pre-scheduled downtime.

John, a generator is high on my priority list.  Proposals and funding
for one have been repeatedly rejected during the last couple of years by
my directors.  We have invested heavily in wireless technology in our
warehouses in the last year though, and I'm busy preparing new proposals
which should be more open to acceptance, as power outages will have a
much bigger impact on our business operations than in the past.  We
don't have a large user base - just 120 users at present, but that
incorporates a whopping 50% growth in just the last year; it's been
playing havoc with capacity planning and licensing!

Thanks Stuart - it looks like I'll have to do some testing then.  I'll
just install a copy of UV on a test machine and restore a backup to it
and run the tests within the 30 day licensing grace period; I really
feel Rocket wouldn't bust my butt for a once-off test like this.  If
anybody from Rocket reads this, I would appreciate your comments before
I do it though.  If/Once I'm happy with the software tests, I can do a
controlled test on the actual server to check for hardware related
issues.  There are two other small UV sites here in Namibia that may
also benefit from this "localised" experience - I'll post feedback on
the test results.

Ross, thanks; the processes run in serial from a paragraph list -
unfortunately it needs some user data inputs to start up thus the need
for a telnet session on the server console to start it; we learnt years
ago it's not good to run this lot from a networked session!  No SAN /
NAS - just a proper RAID system in the server itself.  The console
telnet session is my main concern though...  I might have to see if we
can start the processing off from a local UV shell; that might be more
feasible than a local telnet session.

Kind Regards

Arnold Bosch
IT Administrator
Taeuber & Corssen SWA (Pty) Ltd
------

---------
Disclaimer: This email message is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain
confidential information which may be privileged and protected by law.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us at our email
address, delete this message and do not disclose the contents of this
email message to any other person use it for any purpose or store or
copy this email in any manner or form. Opinions, conclusions and other
information contained in this email message that do not relate to our
official business shall be understood as neither given nor endorsed by
us. We do not represent, warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of
this communication has been maintained or that this communication is
free of errors, virus, interception or interference.