>> Dave
>> The next-to-last one may depend on Unidata vs. Universe.  I understand
>> that Unidata only 'fetches' the key in the READNEXT while I believe
>> Universe grabs both the key and record, due to the construct of the
>> database.

I believe that is the case in Unidata.  A SELECT returns a list of IDs.
That's why your recommendation was confusing me.  In the Unidata
environment, I would have to read every record in order to apply the
filter in the loop.  In a case where only a few records are selected from
a large file, this would create a lot of unnecessary disk activity.  Also,
you would not be able to SORT the order of the IDs.

Charles Shaffer
Senior Analyst
NTN-Bower Corporation