From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of
charles_shaf...@ntn-bower.com
Sent: Tuesday, October 25, 2011 4:53 PM
To: U2 Users List
Subject: Re: [U2] UniBasic Question

>> Dave
>> The next-to-last one may depend on Unidata vs. Universe.  I
>> understand that Unidata only 'fetches' the key in the READNEXT while
>> I believe Universe grabs both the key and record, due to the
>> construct of the database.

I believe that is the case in Unidata.  A SELECT returns a list of IDs.
That's why your recommendation was confusing me.  In the Unidata
environment, I would have to read every record in order to apply the
filter in the loop.  In a case where only a few records are selected
from a large file, this would create a lot of unnecessary disk activity.
Also, you would not be able to SORT the order of the IDs.

Charles Shaffer
Senior Analyst
NTN-Bower Corporation