From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: Wednesday, October 03, 2012 6:31 PM
Subject: Re: [U2] Consuming web services

I do the same as Ben but with .NET:
-- Local U2 <> .NET client <web service> Remote server

Pick is a database server, not a communications protocol end-point. We simply
should not be doing direct comms from this platform anymore, given the huge
number of mainstream options. This is coming from someone who has written all
of the bi-directional comms interfaces to/from MV with sockets and cURL and
plugins and anything else I could create - because (in the 90's) people said it
wasn't possible and because I figured it would be kewl just to do it.

It _is_ all technically possible, but that doesn't mean it makes good business
sense: Doing things like this in BASIC creates a maintenance hassle later. It
leaves the environment subject to DBMS-specific issues that often aren't
addressed for quite a long time. Using mainstream tools vastly increases the
resources available for getting help and solving problems.

So these days I get MV to push a query or data payload out to a middle-tier
that uses the latest communications methods available.
The request goes out, the response comes back, it all just works - that That
should be our bottom line here.

HTH

> From: Ben Souther
> We use a middle layer written in Java.

> Jeff Schasny wrote:
> > I know we have both the SOAP and RESTful web services development
for
> > publishing web services from Universe but how are folks consuming
> > other peoples web services into the database? Are there tools for
this
> > or am I going to just open a socket, read, and parse 'till I'm
blue in the face?