The U2 database does do indexing.

-----Original Message-----
From: Symeon Breen <syme...@gmail.com>
To: 'U2 Users List' <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
Sent: Thu, Oct 4, 2012 12:56 am
Subject: Re: [U2] Consuming Web Services

But we all know U2 is much more than a DB, in fact it is also much less than
a DB.

The concept of having the DB just do DB stuff works fine for SQL server and
MySQL where the DB itself actually does a lot in terms of the data, and the
clients, written in .NET, C, Python Java etc do all the business logic. For
these stored procedures do exist but are usually kept to a minimum and
certainly only for data interaction.

The U2 databases are actually quite stupid, they store and retrieve data
from tables in a (hopefully) quick and efficient  manner, but they certainly
don't do any of the clever stuff you find inside Sql server like map reduce,
caching, indexing etc. The clever bits are what we do in the unibasic code.
So I firmly believe there  IS a case for the clever Unibasic code we write
to access data over http, read in xml and to then process all of these
different data streams. Yeah sure there are things which in theory are
easier to do outside It does not mean you should always do things outside of
unibasic.