On 11/28/06, Étienne Bersac <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Your work on linux desktop is incredible. Thank you. Keep up the good
> work !
>
> I guess that before nice effect for face browser, the most important is
> transition effect between boot <-> login <-> session <-> logout <-> shut
> down.

I think you've got a good point here - the transition is quite scrappy
and unpolished currently - however is there any way to fix this? as I
understand it (which is not very well...) unless we want to run GDM in
the same graphics mode as the usplash (which we don't...) then we
can't avoid the flashing

The two things I think we could avoid would be
- The lines of text we get between grub (which would be nicer if it
wasn't plain text) and usplash ("what's the kernel, why is it
unpacking an image?" says Joe User)

- The plain background seen behind the lsplash after login: could we
make the GDM and the lsplash more unified so that the GDM bg doesn't
go until the user's desktop has loaded?

> Seeing Vista and OS X, Vista has nice face browser, but OS X has far far
> better transition. Screen flickering and other visual noise are far more
> ugly than typing username. I would largely prefer a system with nice
> transition and consistency than a system with eye candy effects for
> basic feature.

Other considerations that may need to be made are
- Is there a way to set a maximum number of users, above which no face
browser is shown (I.E if there are 300 users on a system - don't load
all the photos!)
- How do we make it _easy_ for people to turn face browser off
_completely_ without seriously damaging the way the GDM theme looks.

Note: laoding no images is different from loading no face browser: if
there are no images you can still see that there is a user called
'monkeyman' on the system, but with no face browser there is no way to
tell who can log on at all.

To me, it seems like it might be time to have a 'user experience'
wizard as an optional part of the installer to select things like:
theme, face browser style, whether to use aiglx, etc. Mandrake had one
of these when I first tried Linux and it made me aware of all the
configuration options I had - very simple but helped me discover
features without being daunting.

The idea looks really cool, by the way!

Who