> Nacho de los Ríos wrote:
>
>> The icons suck, and the metaphors suck. They have to be replaced
>>

> Very counterproductive and negative approach.
>
> Free software design has a little growing room, and you could get in on
> the ground floor by providing positive techniques to overcome these
> sorts of issues.
>
> Perhaps offering up a design plan, an alternative, or something to build
> on might be more applicable?
>
> There are many that _might_ agree with your position, however, the
> manner in which you state it will garner zero attention.  It doesn't
> take much effort for a seagull to fly over and poop on the crowd below.
>  It _does_ take a good deal of effort to engage the issues and work to
> resolve them.
>
> Once again, it is always easier to tear down than build upwards.

I AM offering suggestions:

I said the orange disks are too featureless and so they don't stand out
from each other, which defeats their purpose.

I said that the current drawings on the emblems are oversimplified and
that it is difficult to recognize what they represent, let alone what
they stand for. I also said that some are ugly, which I believe is
indeed a problem.

I said their problem is one of lack of color and detail

I said that some of the Tango icons also lack detail and contrast and
that also makes them difficult to recognize. I pointed to two that I
believe are bad choices (the shredder and the crumpled paper).

If in your eyes that only makes me a seagull that shits over the crowd,
well, not being able to take criticism won't make it easy to build
anything upwards. Listen, I may or most likely may not be able to design
better images than what we've got, but I do believe I have spotted
problems, and I have the perfect right to state them.

That said, I'll try to tread more lightly in the future, although I'm
afraid we're all to happy with ourselves to garner too much progress.

By the way, the idea to relate icons with locales is an excellent idea,
although I'm afraid we don't have the power to bring it forward. It
would have to be proposed and defended somewhere upstream.

Regards,

.Nacho.