Alright, let's let you be the client for a few moments then.  Don't
respond to the list with this, as it is clear that your thoughts require
a good deal of fleshing out before they can be implemented in a useful
manner.  Feel free to privately email me your responses.

Nacho de los Ríos Tormo wrote:
> I said the orange disks are too featureless and so they don't stand out
> from each other, which defeats their purpose.

1) Define featureless with greater clarity.  Do you mean the
visualization of the memes chosen?
2) What is their purpose?  Is their purpose to be an icon unto
themselves or more of a simple branding?  In this light, specifically,
what would be a more appropriate alternative?

> I said that the current drawings on the emblems are oversimplified and
> that it is difficult to recognize what they represent, let alone what
> they stand for. I also said that some are ugly, which I believe is
> indeed a problem.

3) Ugly is a relative term.  Describe exactly which emblems you dislike
and suggest another option that is easily rendered within approximately
50 pixels squared.  Remember -- easily recognized is based on your
experience and culture, so be careful with your choices.

> I said their problem is one of lack of color and detail

4) See (2) above.  Do you mean color within the iconography or the
overall emblem?
5) See (2) above.  How much detail should an emblem offer within the
clearly defined technological limits?

> I said that some of the Tango icons also lack detail and contrast and
> that also makes them difficult to recognize. I pointed to two that I
> believe are bad choices (the shredder and the crumpled paper).

COMMENT) Tango icons are all 100% identifiable to the people who created
them.  Do you mean recognizable to someone outside of the Tango project?
 If so, define the audience that is having trouble identifying the
items.    Is it an ethnicity issue?  Education level issue?
Technological issue?

> Listen, I may or most likely may not be able to design
> better images than what we've got, but I do believe I have spotted
> problems, and I have the perfect right to state them.

Arguable.  A mailing list is meant for communication, and it may well be
moderated.  That said, if you state your opinions properly with good
researched backed references, you are likely to gain more credibility
with the people designing the work.

Everyone in the world has an opinion.

Despite the fact that art and design is a formalized and professionally
taught, researched, and practiced realm, you won't be able to find a
single person who isn't willing to bikeshed relentlessly with vague
words claims such as "isn't functional" "is ugly" "doesn't work"
"doesn't fit" "isn't professional", etc.  This isn't a direct knock
against you, but rather a simple suggestion that _everyone_ believes
their position on art and design to be correct.

> That said, I'll try to tread more lightly in the future, although I'm
> afraid we're all to happy with ourselves to garner too much progress.

I don't believe that the artwork team is at all 'too happy with
ourselves'.  To the best of my knowledge, we simply aren't in a position
to offer alternatives at this juncture.

Sincerely,
TJS