>I'll say it again, we are testing a dark theme to find out whether it is
even
possible to use one or not.

Getting this message out before the alpha release would have been a good
idea, in retrospect. I know there is no way to avoid TehMobMind over at Digg
and the inevitable comments from people who hold a bizarre fascination with
their own feces, the endlessly clever guesses about what the next build code
name should be, etc...but some of the other comments might have been
tempered if the writer at Ars was more informed (not that anyone at Digg
would RTFA) about the goals of the dark theme. (Actually, I think the Ars
piece was acceptable)

Alphas should absolutely be a place for playing around with ideas, testing
concepts...I don't think Digg or even Ars should be given room to discourage
experimentation. Some PlanetUbuntu posts might have helped. And I'm
wondering about the feasibility of some kind of doc/readme, slide show, or
even pre-loaded Tomboy note, that would pop up or sit on the desktop only in
the alphas, which would explain some of these things as well as whatever
other changes Ubuntu might be looking into. "With this release we are
exploring ... with this app, that app, and so on. Any constructive criticism
should be left at such and such place...blah blah. If you have this hardware
or that hardware we are particularly interested in your experiences with
blah-de-blah...Thanks for trying this build and aiding in the growth of such
and such."

EveOnline and other endeavors suffer the same kind of "ZOMG I'm not
participating anymore because things have changed!!!" and even when they try
to be open and transparent by making use of dev blogs, audio interviews,
video interviews, (and in EveOnline's case an oft ignored test
server)...these reactions still exist. But at least they can point to some
effort to keep users informed. Whether users chose to read, listen, or view
the material is another matter. What you end up with are the informed vs the
uninformed, and they can duke it out with each other.

Seems like most of this info is out there in different places for each
project. Having it gathered together and presented clearly and succinctly -
not talking about pages of technical info here, thinking about the kind of
thing displayed during an XP install...but more informative...um, and not
during the install - would get a more useful response out of the community,
instead of death threats, insults, and Mob fear reaction.

NOW, for my question. :)

If the dark theme is an experiment, what is the fallback? Is it "unity"?
Something else entirely?

Ashton

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 9:17 AM, SorinN <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> years of civilization should let some fingertips over peoples no ? )
> so - I'll never say something like " this theme suck ...", because
> it's not my level.
>
> On short:
>
> 1. I vote down for this theme. Sorry.
> 2. I'll use this theme on my free time doing artworks, because I like
> it. I think I'll change the scrollbar color before ;)
>

> 2008/7/1 Julian Oliver <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > ..on or around Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 03:27:16PM +0300 SorinN wrote:
> >> regarding:
> worse
> >>
> >> 1. Well my question is about "worse" word. What is so worse .. ?
> >>
> >> 2. indeed some things could be improved. Scrollbars  are almost
> >> invisible - which is not good - always you have to loose 1 or 2
> >> seconds to focus your look to see if is something scrollable or not -
> >> but if the bar is colored and visible you will know from start if  is
> >> something to scroll....
> >>
> >> It's clear, the author is not a fervent reader of usability books -
> >> but hey - the rest is pretty clear and clean - he has talent he need
> >> ideas / help not this kind of remarks.
> >>
> >> 3. Criticism must be "positive" - I mean -> if something is not good
> >> -> let solve the problem, talk about problems not shoot the people...
> >> I'm got tired of  "Neanderthal positivism" on almost all places - this
> >> community must think in a superior way.
> >>
> >> 4. Anyway this theme will make it's history between graphic artists,
> >> gamers - not office dedicated peoples, etc. On my opinion is one if
> >> the best dark theme that I see on last months - clearly defined
> >> buttons, elegant metacity theme. The only drawback -> scrollbars not
> >> visible.
> >
> > regardless, it's clear that many people feel very strongly that they
> > don't like the theme in its current iteration. i suggest you read some
> > of their comments. my experience of it is also that it's a pretty poor
> > dark theme.
> >

> http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums?a=tpc&amp;s=50009562&amp;f=174096756&amp;m=299007113931&amp;r=299007113931
> >
> > from:
> >

> http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080629-horny-for-ubuntu-8-10-first-look-at-intrepid-ibex.html
> >
> > regardless, instead of just diving in there now and making changes - you
> > fixing the scrollbars, me trying to return some sane contrast to the
> > colour palette - i feel it would be wise to provide a central forum for
> > /users/ of the theme to make constructive criticisms. it could take the
> > form of a sticky thread setup by one of the moderators at Ubuntu Forums,
> > alongside similar forums in other languages.
> >
> > currently, the criticisms are spread both too widely and in contexts not
> > constructive to collating well-meaning, useful feedback..
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> > --
> > julian oliver
> > http://julianoliver.com
> > http://selectparks.net
> > messages containing HTML will not be read.

Ronald Reagan  - "Recession is when a neighbour loses his job. Depression is
when you lose yours."