On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 1:55 PM, Thorsten Wilms <t...@freenet.de> wrote:

> What now feels to be an eternity ago, Mark Shuttleworth in a Community
> Council session, http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2008/09/02/%
> 23ubuntu-meeting.html:
>
> 22:09  in terms of audience, i think we have to aim for young
> professionals who are web-savvy
>
> 22:14  if we are ambitious, we want to serve all human beings
>
> 22:15  so, the only reason i focused on young web-savvy professionals is
> they will be the standard-bearers for taking ubuntu to a wider audience
>
> 22:15  and they are probably attracted to particular ideas in design
> like the iphone used web 2.0 ideas
>
> ----

I think standing by the comment at 22:09 (or of course a better defined
version of it) would help so much in focusing Ubuntu's design work. But alas
5 minutes later it's all dashed. I really think we're shooting ourselves in
the foot trying to aim at everybody. It's  an impossible goal. It
tremendously weakens the resulting design. This is a well established
principle of design. Audience and goal. I know many people on this list have
probably seen this, but it's such a wonderful and spot-on post by Havoc
Pennington on the subject.(
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/desktop-devel-list/2006-February/msg00174.html
)

The sad thing is it's 4 years ago that he wrote it.

No one is listening.. well.. that's not entirely accurate. Some people
apparently are:
http://blog.cberger.net/2010/03/02/the-difficult-choice-of-removing-features/