I somewhat agree with Shabab about the complexity of the project. Ast the same
time as Lenin vaiya is saying I also think we need to start. As it is not a
test, and there is no harm in trying, we can definitely start. There might be
failures, but hey! success never comes so easily!
After I saw the debate, I did a 15 minute research to find out how really this
thing works. Most probably all of you are talking about Machine Translation.
Yahoo or Altavista's translation engine is called Systran which won't be very
effective in translating Bengali (even though they claim to support Hindi).
Another recent approach which is called Statistical Machine Translation (Google
Translator) will solve the problems of translating from rice to "chal" or
"dhan" depending on the use and other issues (phrases, proverbs, structural
problems and so on).
OpenLogos or Apertium are the open source Machine Translation (not statistical)
projects available with source code (as usual). Those who are interested can
start from downloading the source codes and see how they are working for other
languages.
I am not sure how many of you have access to IEEE and ACM digital libraries. I
found thousands of articles and journals on this topic.  Also there is a nice
website with tons of information: http://www.statmt.org/ So I think instead of
fighting on this topic, if we can start researching and organizing ourselves to
start working, then it will give us more jack-fruit (or mango- whatever you
like) or we will end up being another-jack-asses or jack-cows or jack monkeys.
Don't know if it helped; just my 2 poisha.

-----

tanjir

visit http://www.tanjir.net