On vr, 2007-02-16 at 01:01 +0100, Christophe Vandeplas wrote:
> Jan Claeys wrote:
> > This would mean changing the installer, and would be more work.
> > (But maybe the "Mint" people have done this work already?)
>
> that was my opinion concerning the main ubuntu distro. I just believe
> that ubuntu/linux won't make it to the normal consumer-market if it
> doens't get over these patent-proprietary-we-reject thing. Just give the
> stupid user a checkbox so he can choose himself. As 90% of the normal
> users will not understand the information from the ubuntu wiki that
> explains how you must activate + install the packages.

If you commit to paying the licenses, I'm sure we can include those
codecs.  Fluendo sells Windows Media, MPEG2, MPEG4, AAC, etc. at 28 euro
per user, but I'm sure you can get a discount if you buy 10000 licenses
at once...   :-P

Otherwise it will depend on who wants to take the risk to be sued.

--
Jan Claeys