Tormod Volden schrieb:
>> The Swiss GPRS-modems don't seem to work properly any more because of a bug
>> in
>> the kernel or the network-manager or both.
>
> Do you have a reference to a bug report? I know this was working well
> in 8.10 and also in Lucid when I tried a couple of months ago.

There are several bug reports but I can only find the one related to the Sony
MD-300 Stick (Swisscom) at the moment. Here the problem is less severe and can
be overcome with some work:

http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/umts-stick-von-swisscom/

http://0xfeed.wordpress.com/2009/07/30/sony-ericsson-md300-unter-ubuntu-8-04-einrichten/

http://fpreto.wordpress.com/2008/11/17/ubuntu-810-and-the-sony-ericsson-md300-modem/

http://swisscom-forum.mxm.ch/de/forum_posts.asp?TID=2983&PID=26215#26215

The more severe bugs are with the Huawei E220 modem (Sunrise), where there are
pages and pages of disgruntled users within the bug reports. This modem used to
work automatically and now requires a lot of workarounds, although it may be
fixed by now - I havn't checked since Karmic, where I managed to get it to work
once, but can't reproduce it. I havn't got these links to hand at the moment.

Cheers, Theo