David Prieto Ucha wrote:

>> Removing nautilus-cd-burner wouldn't fix the problem you describe:
>> unnecessary UI inconsistency would still exist with Brasero vs. Nautilus
>> itself. Why is creating a new folder done one way in Nautilus, and
>> another way in Brasero? Why is removing files from a folder done way in
>> Nautilus, and another way in Brasero? Why does the confirmation alert
>> for replacing an item with the same name have different text and buttons
>> in Brasero than it does in Nautilus? Why does Brasero refer to
>> non-existent "projects"? And so on.
>
> I think those would only qualify as inconsistencies if the user happens to
> expect a burning app to have the same interface as the file manager, which I
> think is not the case. I mean, we have a photo management app that does NOT
> look exactly like the file manager and a music management app that does NOT
> look exactly like the file manager, and there was never a problem with
> those.

Yes there is. That problem is less serious, because people who use photo
or music management applications typically use them more frequently than
they use nautilus-cd-burner, so they have more time to learn the
inconsistencies. But it is still suboptimal that, for example, deleting
an item in F-Spot, in Rhythmbox, and in Nautilus is done with three
gratuitously different menu items.

> What makes you believe that it would be otherwise with CD burning? Why do
> you think NOT looking and behaving exactly like a file manager makes
> a burning app more complex to use?

I didn't say "exactly like", I said "a strict superset of". And the
reason not being a superset makes the app more complex is, as I also
said in the part you snipped, "All these differences people shouldn't
have to learn".

For example, Brasero has a handy capacity indicator for burnable discs,
but because it's in Brasero, I can use it only for burnable discs. If it
was available in Nautilus (and therefore also in nautilus-cd-burner), I
could use it for all devices, including USB keys and external hard drives.

> I'm eager to do some  testing with family and friends, BTW. Get them to burn
> some stuff with Brasero, see if they have any problems or raise any of the
> afforementioned issues.

User testing would be great! There are some tips for how to do it on the
Ubuntu wiki. <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UsabilityTesting> Remember,
though, that user testing usually finds only big problems -- it rarely
finds small problems, and designing solutions to the problems is a
separate process.

Cheers
- --
Matthew Paul Thomas