On 02/10/13 20:50, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Le 02/10/2013 12:31, Tim a écrit :
>> I am however concerned how this will all pan out if it does indeed end up
>> being a 2 cycle delay. From which I can see it sliding further
>> downhill as time progresses, until Ubuntu drop the GNOME stack, leaving us
>> with a big mess to clean up and perhaps mission impossible to
>> catch up again.
>
> That's a valid concern, just some notes:
Thats not my only concern, did you see my first more detailed email?

> * we don't plan to keep staying 2 cycles behind for ever, going back to "stay
> on the current" stable worked fine and I think we should keep
> doing that.
>
> The main motivation here are:
>
> - trying to avoid the endless discussions about option depreciations (we
> already got some user flack for that g-s-d upload that made some of
> the xsettings not being set anymore), it would be good to have an LTS out
> with users about it, and then have the next LTS cycles to deal with
> controversial changes
That was a mistake, the commits/bugs all refered to GTK2 so I figured it
wouldnt be a problem.

> - sharing the bug fix work with other distributions. If RedHat uses GNOME 3.8
> for their coming edition, there is a good chance that this
> version is going to get extra support over the next years, and there is a
> good opportunity to share work/increase quality there
Right, RedHat are amazing with their work backporting security fixes to RHEL.
Will this extend to usabililty fixes as well? On the other hand it
seems that most of this work is largely inaccesbile until it filters down
through CentOS.

> - having some capacity to deal with the bugs and usability issues that got
> added over the previous cycle. We have limited resources
> (especially with the focus on phone) and it would be good to be able to focus
> those on quality for the LTS
>
> * we don't plan to drop GNOME, we are going to keep maintaining glib/gtk and
> some of the GNOME components and apps for a long time. It might
> be that we are going to be less involved in some of the components but it
> shouldn't be an issue for the GNOME remix (if anything, it should
> make your job easier since it means less patches to carry/update)
I guess the main pain points are gtk/g-s-d/g-c-c and (for 3.10 atleast)
gnome-desktop3. Most of the libraries below that havent really been much
of an issue.