I'm noticing that in the latest daily build of Ubuntu, Pidgin in still
included, who makes the actual change and when will that happen?

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 02:06, Andrew Sayers <
andrew-ubuntu-de...@pileofstuff.org> wrote:

> I guess my previous message wasn't clear - I'm not making an argument
> here from personal preference, I'm trying to file a bug in Ubuntu
> itself.  Specifically, that dropping Pidgin will cause a regression in
> the user experience for migraters.
>
> I'm also not arguing that migraters are incapable of learning new
> things, just that they shouldn't be asked to learn a new IM program at
> the same time as they're learning where their start menu went.  I would
> have no problem, for example, with asking updaters whether they wanted
> to switch to Empathy.
>
> This decision was made at UDS with no input from, or output to, the
> wider community.  Brainstorm has never heard of Empathy, and I've never
> seen it get more than luke warm support on this list.  While I agree
> with UDS in general, saying "at UDS it was already decided that Empathy
> would ship with Karmic.... the decision has already been made for us"
> goes completely against the grain of open source development.
>
>        - Andrew
>
> --

Most new users are switching straight from a client like AIM, MSN, or Yahoo,
not Pidgin, and Empathy was chosen to replace Pidgin because it is more
friendly for those new users.

--
http://www.google.com/profiles/danny.piccirillo