On Mi, 2012-04-11 at 20:44 -0700, Dane Mutters wrote:

> I'm aware that this is the "-discuss" list, and in point of fact, I
> subscribed (and occasionally participated on) the "-devel" list for
> years until a faction of the developers decided (with some good
> reason) that they didn't want non-developers on that list, and
> restricted all emails from those without special permission.  Even
> then, I occasionally made suggestions and (what I thought were)
> intelligent comments, only to be faced with a process of waiting for
> my every email to be moderated, then being summarily told that my
> input wasn't important to anyone there (in many cases).  So, while,
> yes, this isn't the list that most devs give a hoot about, and, in
> fact, seem to regard more as dev-null than dev-discuss, there simply
> isn't a better place to voice such concerns, and I'm pretty sure that
> it's by design.  (To be fair, some people had been obnoxious on the
> old -devel list, so some of this behavior is understandable, if not
> justified.)

I don't have this perception. I am one Ubuntu developer reading the
"-discuss" list without making it a second class list.

You seem to target the wrong audience. We Ubuntu developers create a
distribution from upstream project. Unity is one upstream project as
GNOME is one upstream project. You need to talk to the upstream
developers directly to have an influence.

To maximize the influence on project, the critics should be factually.
As developer, I am more open to a concrete technical bug report than to
get blamed for developing madness. A polite phrased issue is more likely
to be heard.

To answer your initial question: Install gnome-panel and use it like you
used GNOME 2 before.

Unity has many advantages over GNOME 2, but it breaks some use cases. I
filed bugs against Unity for those use cases [1] and [2]. Until these
bugs are sorted out, I will use gnome-panel on the one machine with the
described use case.

[1] https://launchpad.net/bugs/856892
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/856894

--