Hi, Nicolas.

I've used quite a few different apps to log this information over the many
years I've used Windows. Before switching most of my computer time over to
Ubuntu this past summer, I was most recently using the logging features of the
application-firewall from Comodo
(http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/firewall.php). Over the years
I've found it easier to maintain Windows by consolidating features into one
app. (If you haven't used Windows, it is an enormous pain to keep all the 3rd
party software up to date). And I've grown to really like the firewall features
of Comodo; it has great options and allows fantastic configuration capabilities
with an easy to interpret interface and easy to understand listing of rules. It
is one of my favorite apps for Windows because it is a lot of fun to configure
and is a great learning tool for learning about internet protocols, ports, and
in general the connections that occur on your machine. Plus is has great
privacy/security benefits. All of this rolled up into one app results in really
useful logging features/capabilities.
I considered using an application-firewall on ubuntu to log this information
but I've been told that there is no application-firewall available on ubuntu.
After exploring the different options available on ubuntu for monitoring, I
settled on using "watch netstat -tapun" as my favorite. And it does a nice job
of letting me know what's going on. But it is so limited because I have to
always be watching it and lots of stuff can connect/disconnect when I'm not
watching. A log helps me know exactly what's connecting from my machine, even
when I'm not watching. The log that comes with ubuntu lacks the "easy to
interpret" listings I'm accustomed to on Windows, but it provides some good
information. However, it doesn't say anything about what application/service
caused the log report. This would be great info to know.