On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Brian labishi <bni1...@live.com> wrote:

> Hi. I'm new to Ubuntu and like it very much. Overall I like Ubuntu better
> than what I used to use, Windows. But one thing that I really miss from
> Windows is the ability to know what applications and services are connecting
> to the internet. In Windows I could log this kind of information. But I've
> asked some very knowledgeable computer people for help with Ubuntu and I'm
> told this can't be done on ubuntu.
>
> I was hoping that Ubuntu developers might address this shortcoming at the
> summit? I was told this is where these kind of things are discussed.

You're suggesting a very interesting project, yet one that is likely
to depend on a fair amount of new development.

Do we have other instances of this being asked by people, such as on
Ubuntu Brainstorm (I'll look too)? It would be important to know,
before committing time to work on such a thing, how important it's
perceived to be by our users.

Keeping in mind that there can be a very large number of connections
happening on a machine at any point in time, what kind of information
are you looking for? Is it to see everything that attempts to make a
connection or just what gets blocked by a firewall? Do you want to see
notifications on the desktop or are you looking for this at the server
level?

All the above are information that would be best to flesh out a bit in
advance before starting discussion just so that work items could be
derived from the resulting discussion.

Obviously, you don't *need* to discuss a project like this at UDS.
Perhaps it's just something people can start working on as a project,
and ask for specific things needed in Ubuntu to support using such an
application/service

Kind regards,

Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <mathieu...@ubuntu.com>
Freenode: cyphermox, Jabber: mathieu...@gmail.com
4096R/EE018C93 1967 8F7D 03A1 8F38 732E  FF82 C126 33E1 EE01 8C93