I install directly from the live CD - this gives two options - to try
Ubuntu without installing and to install Ubuntu. I choose the second
option. Once the installation is complete a window pops up telling you
that a reboot is required. I choose to reboot. After this the screen
goes black and then the CD is ejected. After that the screen remains
black a control-alt-delete is required to restart the computer.

Sounds like the the computer is not getting the restart signal.

Cheers,

Joe