> Hi Chris,
>
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 11:57:39AM +0100, Chris Rowson wrote:
> > I've just had an email from the good folks over at thedailymotion.com
> > - who have heard about our viral video project.
> >

> You sure about that site?
>
> It redirects to http://www.richvideos.com/ which is a searchspam site.
> http://www.dailymotion.com/ is that what you really meant?

Yeah - sorry :-P

> > It seems that they're big fans and users of Ubuntu, and would like to
> > help out with the hosting/publishing our viral videos.
> >

> This is going to sound negative, but I just don't know how else to word it.
>
> Whilst it's great to get distributors on board, I'm not convinced they're
> the best "partner" for the site. Why not just release the video(s) on a
> *.ubuntu.com domain or from an existing site. Then again they can be
> uploaded to any site of this ilk (youtube, heavy, blip.tv, ustream, and so
> on) there's no real need to tie yourself to one of them. Hosting is (in my
> opinion) the _least_ of your worries.

True, but positioning is ;-) I thought it'd probably be a good idea to
enter into dialogue with these people to see what we can do for one
and other - don't you?

> The primary goal is to get them made in the first place I'd have thought.
>
> How about setting out some themes or goals for video content on the wiki? Or
> maybe come up with some scenarios that _you_ would like to see made in
> video. Coming up with those ideas always seems to be the tricky thing IMO.

I can see why you'd think that, but that isn't really the angle that I
was coming at this from the 'if we build it they will come angle :-P '

I've got some ideas about how to move forward with getting some
quality marketing vids made, but I think success may depend upon
getting people interested in making video as well as people interested
in Ubuntu. I think targeting video sharing community for their help is
probably a good idea.

> You could also schedule a meeting on irc to get people talking about it, or
> maybe add it to the agenda for an existing (Marketing?) meeting?

Good Idea :-D