John Botscharow wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 22:36:08 +0100
> Dean Sas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> What contributions do you wish to make that you can't without having a
>> leader?
> Funny you should ask this, because I was going to ask what I am about
> to ask as a new thread:
>
> 1. I have expressed on this list a desire to help out with the
> spreadubuntu web site project, but have no clue how to join that
> project

I think the first step is to write or find some software to run the
site. Perhaps the source code to spread firefox is available and is
suitably genericised or can be ubuntu-ised.

> 2. I have suggested today on this list that the marketing team set up
> an official project to start a letter-writing campaign to manufacturers
> or wireless adapters/cards that use proprietary drivers that they work
> out a way to make those drivers available to FOSS users but do not know
> what the next step should be to get this going as a project.

I'd create a wiki page or two with:
* Addresses to send the letters to.
* A "form" letter  that other people can copy and edit to fit their
device and use their own words.

Then announce it on the list, ask for feedback and remind people to feel
free to edit the wiki page or mail the list with their own form letters
(which can be then incorporated or added to the wiki page). It may also
be worth dropping a note to UWN or the fridge about the campaign.

> 3. I posted some information today about Apple's new iPhome mobile
> Internet device and the fact that Google is planning to release an FOSS
> version. I feel that this is a very good marketing opportunity for
> Ubuntu as the people who buy the Google Android will gain exposure to
> FOSS and be prime prospects for a FOSS desktop. Given that the Android
> will more than likely be cheaper than the Apple version, we should see
> a lot of Mac and Windows users buying it. Same problem as #2.

You probably did the right thing in mailing the list - perhaps other
people will provide some ideas that can be actioned. There's nothing to
set up (except possibly a wiki page for brainstorming) until we have
some actionable ideas.

> A leader would be the person to either set up the project, provide
> direction on how to set it up, especially for new people like me :-),

> or determine that the project is inappropriate for the team - if such a
> thing happens here. A leader would be the person to go ask questions
> like this. I have tried to find answers on both Launchpad and the wiki
> but with limited success. So any help you can provide would be much
> appreciated.

If you're struggling with something ask the list - someone will usually
know.

If people think a project is inappropriate, believe me on a mailing list
people will soon make their thoughts clear. It's up to you whether you
wish to persue the idea after judging peoples responses to see how much
help you'll get.

Cheers,

Dean