John Botscharow wrote:
> The marketing part of all these projects I know pretty much what to do.
> What I do not know is how to 1) officially - the operative word here -
> join an existing project or 2) officially - again the operative word-
> start a new one - or do I not have the authority - operative word - to
> start one? In all my years of experience in the business world, those
> two options were only open to people in official - operative word -
> positions of authority. How does this work in the Ubuntu community in
> general and in the marketing team in particular?

Joining a Team (like the Marketing Team) is done officially through
launchpad, but for most teams, you can still participate without being
an "official" part of the team.  This is done by browsing to the LP
page, and then asking to join from there.

Joining/Creating a "Project" is (unless we set up some additional red
tape) completely unofficial.  I went over a reasonable (although not set
in stone) method for creating a project in my other email
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-marketing/2008-June/003277.html).
  To participate (I'm going to use that term instead of 'join') in a
project, get familiar with it, contact the people who are currently
involved in it (there may, or may not, be any official/unofficial
'lead'), and ask them how you might best help, or how you'd like to
help.  This varies a lot depending on the project, and in some cases,
you could just start participating without any contact at all.

Neal Bussett