Moins,

On Thu, 2010-08-05 at 11:37 -0400, Andrew SB wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM, Stephan Hermann <s...@sourcecode.de> wrote:
> > We had that in the past, and this will happen with unreflected usage of
> > tools like this. (Please read the threads about Automatix and Friends in
> > the past...google have references)
>
> For reference, here's Matthew Garrett's technical review of Automatix:
>
> http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html
>
> Re-reading that now, I note that the issue of adding untrusted third
> party sources doesn't seem to be the argument against Automatix.

Matthew wrote in his last paragraph:

"In its current form Automatix is unsupportable, and a mechanism for
flagging bugs from machines with Automatix installed may provide a
valuable aid for determining whether issues are due to supported
distribution packages or third party software installers."

This may not be read as "argument against automatix", but the past told
us, what will happen to the Ubuntu Bug tracker when third party
repositories (and even PPAs from LP are third party) are enabled and
non-distro packages are installed.

We had all this discussions in the past, and we came to the conclusion
that we want to "support backports" but in an "official" means Ubuntu
blessed way.

That's why we created ubuntu backports repository...

But there are also other things I don't like. An easy way to "tweak"
gconf settings could also be dangerous for Ubuntu users.

But that's eventually only me.

One thing I would like to raise: Someone who wants to "tweak" his/her
setup, is not the "normal" Ubuntu user. Mostly they are "power users",
and I do think that really knowledged "power users" can tweak their
systems without such a tool.

Making it an easy task to "tweak" and "break" peoples Ubuntu
installation shouldn't be a goal for us in general.

Users of mostly all operating systems are doing things, when someone
tells them to do so, but those people don't know anything about the
dangers. If something breaks, Ubuntu will be flooded with bug reports
and complaints, and this is really something we should avoid.

A better solution will be to push more backports. And backporting is not
that difficult, it just takes time and caution, to not break working
systems.

Regards,

\sh