On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Maia Kozheva <si...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Just my two kopecks here:
>
> It's not just the catalogue of specific PPAs that is a problem. Granted,
> that's one of the problems too, in my eyes; having it in the Ubuntu
> archive makes us look like we support that kind of unofficial
> bleeding-edge updates *and* the PPAs featured. Ubuntu does provide a way
> to install PPAs: through the Software Sources tool. But it does not
> treat some PPAs as "more equal than others".

The issue applies to every application which provides it's own sources of
media/software/whatever, as far as I understand that is not something we
take responsibility for as part of the packaging.
Does MOTU support or endorse the IRC servers available on the xchat server
list ?
Does MOTU support or endorse the the radio stream availables on the
'tunapie' stream list ?
Does MOTU support or endorse the the <insert your application
media/software/etc source here> ?

IMHO as long as the application provides a sensible warning about the
security/stability risks of enabling the PPA's it is an acceptable feature.

> The entire package management part just bugs me. It's basically a
> duplication of standard Ubuntu tools, and I doubt it has received such
> extensive testing as Software Sources/Update Manager/Software
> Center/Synaptic. The ability to manually edit sources.list files should
> not be exposed to the end user in the UI at all, that's for advanced

I don't think kpackagekit, packagekit-gnome and adept received such an
extensive testing as Software Sources/Update Manager/Software
Center/Synaptic, still they are on the archive.

users. Keep in mind that package management is a sensitive part of the
> system and reckless meddling can leave it in an inconsistent state.
>
> If only package management was limited to its own section. But it also
> creeps into other sections; the Compiz settings, for example, include a
> checkbox (?!) for installing simple-ccsm, and even the application

Why is that wrong as long it's clear than an install operation will be
invoked ? Please note that there are Ubuntu default apps which do that, the
language support app comes to my mind.

itself prompts to install its own PPA for updates.

> The other sections basically expose "hidden" settings in gconf, but they
> do so in an inconsistent way. Some settings are innocent, others expose
> experimental and unreliable features (Metacity compositing, for
> instance), or are potentially dangerous and can render the desktop
> unusable. Again, this makes Ubuntu look like it promotes this.

+1, Dangerous/unreliable features should have a proper warning.

> Ultimately, the #1 bug in Ubuntu Tweak (which is really a bug in Ubuntu)
> is that some users feel it has the need to exist. I myself believe that
> many of the "hidden" gconf settings should be configurable, but that
> Ubuntu Tweak is the Wrong Way to Do It. If they're useful, they should
> either be added to the configuration dialogs of the respective
> applications, or have separate configuration dialogs (for example, ccsm
> and simple-ccsm do everything Ubuntu Tweak does for Compiz, and then
> some). That would remove the need for the safe subset of Ubuntu Tweak in
> the first place, just as the PPA culture and restricted extras packages
> proved to be the Right Way to Do It that removed the raison d'etre for
> its spiritual predecessor, Automatix.

So you agree that there is a need for ubuntu-tweak until the other bugs get
fixed, right :) ?

--
João Luís Marques Pinto
GetDeb Team Leader