On 25/04/17 08:43, Alberto Salvia Novella wrote:
Many people has been complaining through the years about not knowing how to report bugs in Ubuntu. I have been asking those people why is that, and they usually told me that the reporting bugs guide was too long, hard to skim, and nobody would be willing to read it.

It wasn't till I putted a video-tutorial on the top of the page when people stopped complaining about it. But that's just a dirty work-around and shows that the guide doesn't fit well the average user needs.

So for:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ReportingBugs

I have written an improved version:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/es20490446e/Reporting%20bugs

The criteria I have used has been:
- Adequate for the average person (https://goo.gl/GmzLhb)
- Fits 95% of cases, and leaves the rare ones out.
- Easy and straightforward, over correct.
- Removing the already guided steps by applications themselves.
- Removing the procedures only interesting for triagers.
- If something is unclear if it's useful, adding it when it shows to be.

Please have a look at it and tell me if you see something painful missing. Thank you.

If the sole reason for changing the wiki page was it's length, then rather than lose information, we should perhaps be looking splitting it up.

The Ubuntu QA page [1] was at one point quite unwieldy - it was changed so that there were seperate pages linked in the Getting Involved section - which gave people a chance to home in on what they needed from the page.

Maybe something similar would work here

regards

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam