On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:16 PM, Thierry Carrez
<thierry.car...@ubuntu.com> wrote:
[snip]

> That said, I agree that support should go somewhere well defined, rather
> than just being "removed from topic". I've no opinion on how best to
> separate them:
>
> * #ubuntu-server = dev // #??? = support
> * #ubuntu-server = support // #ubuntu-server-dev = dev
> * ...
>
> The second option might actually be more discoverable, since developers
> will know where development talk occurs, while it's difficult to change
> the habits of the unwashed masses.

As someone that wants to get involved, the second option (as I already
suggested) would be the best, for the sole reason not to alienate the
community.  The logic is, there is #ubuntu/#ubuntu-devel so
#ubuntu-server/#ubuntu-server-devel (or dev to fit in with package
naming conventions ;)) seems logical.

I'd also say that another reason is (and this carries on from
Thierry's other statement, if there is someone having an "oh my, my
stuff is really broken and I want it fixed ASAP" moment, and I don't
know about <stuff> , it's far less rude and distracting for all
parties, if I continue on with a potentially highly detailed technical
conversation with another person in different channel.

- Nigel