On Thu, 29 Oct 2015, lukefro...@hushmail.com wrote:

At the creation level, the value is in having software that does not require
activation. That rules out paid software like Windows video editors (and lightworks) and sound editors. It also rules out Windows.

If someone installs US from a new iso on an offline machine, there is
no network and nothing can phone home, yet everything works. if codecs are missing from the ISO, they can be fetched by flash drive and again brought in for offline installation. Easy way: install also to a laptop, pull the packages somewhere else, save them from the APT
cache, bring them home. Actually this codec issue is does complicate
things just enough to require someone with some computer skills
to set up the machine. This is an issue because of cameras that shoot
to H264 or other patented codecs.

Any Ubuntu package can be downloaded on a library machine (any OS) from a browser. No password needed. I think so many different people downlaod them that no one is watching who or when they are downloaded. It is up to the user to know what packages they want :) I suppose using a browser rather than wget would stand out to someone reading logs though.

I am assuming that a DSLR would not be used as being too visible, so replacing the code (firmware) may not be possible. Does the codec leave any kind of watermark right out of the camera? I would also question if an SD card can be made clean as the mapping from virtual to physical sectors changes all the time (from write to write).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net