On 7/10/19 10:59 AM, Len Ovens wrote:

On Mon, 8 Jul 2019, Mike Squires wrote:

My desktop is a Supermicro X7DAE dual quad core Xeon (2Ghz), with a 1TB RAID 1 boot device and a single 4 TB archive device running off a 3ware 9750 PCI-E card.  A second RAID 5 array running off an older 3ware 9550 PCI-X card is currently off line (drives pulled).  Video is a ATI/AMD 5500 PCI-E card.

History:

Ubuntu Studio (using "Studio) afterwards) 16 ran fine; v 18 was extremely slow once installed, taking many minutes to complete simple tasks.  I ran 19.04 but although faster than 18 it was still much slower than 16.

I have since switched to XUBUNTU 19 on the same hardware, speed is OK.

I do not know the Xeons well. I do know that much of the RT patches that have been added to main line kernel were developed on the Xeon as well as i3-7 processors. And the lowlatency kernel is only slightly different from generic. Still, I would at least try running the generic kernel. Note that the way GRUB works in Studio is the latest lowlatency kernel is listed first followed by the latest kernel (which may be the same lowlatency kernel above it) the only way to ensure the generic kernel is selected is to use the third option which gives a sub menu of all the kernels to choose from. This is a packaging oddity but does insure the lowlatency kernel is default.

   ....stuff deleted.

Thank you for your response.  I'll try your suggestions.

Mike Squires

--
Michael L. Squires, Ph.D., M.P.A.
546 North Park Ridge Road